Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 24 November 2015

ICU – the headquater of Mafia Dons!


After the surgery I was transferred directly to my hospital room. Since all my vital organs were working and my condition was stable I was not put in the ICU!

But this was short lived. I got fever that escalated from 99.3 to 99.8 and then crossed 100. And there were 2 more problems (cant remember them now) which needed ICU care. All these made me land up in the ICU bed in 24 hours of my operation.


Since I could not move they plonked me from the room bed to the ICU bed using a strecher. It felt good … it was fun to change the bed in this way.


Once inside the ICU the doctors and nurses attended to me immediately. Thats when I met the first ‘Don of Hiranandani ICU’ – Dr Deepak Singh. As an ICU doctor he is the best no doubt but … if you don’t listen to him you are gone with the wind‼ Beware!

When my husband, Avik, and my friend, Pooja, entered the ICU they were asked to sign a document, giving their consent to pierce my neck to create the peripheral central line! PIERCE MY NECK‼ NOOOOO! All 3 of us were scared. I could feel the shivers running down my spine.

My husband and friend tried to explain to Dr. Singh if we could skip the neck piercing … but a stern look and some stern words made them sign the document. Horror of horror! In my half sleep state I was winning as to why they agree to the neck piercing. Why? Why? Why?

I wanted to run away but then … I was not mobile. For 5 whole mins I would not let Dr. Singh let me pierce my neck. I wriggled in terror. Then came the scolding of my life … a scolding that fixed my attitude forever. My parents have never shouted so hard on me. ‘We are doctors and you have to trust us! If you don’t you will be in trouble. We will have to pierce your neck whether you like it or not. And we guarantee that it will not hurt. Are you listening? You have to trust us!’ The words may sound normal but the tone was like a mafia don‼ I had no choice but to give in. The mafia don just would not let me go anywhere.




So the neck piercing began … I prayed and prayed … and before I could understand the job was done. I could hardly feel the pain‼ Infact, taking blood is more painful.


Finally I understood what Dr Deepak Singh was telling me. He did his job in a jiffy with such precision and comfort. Today I believe he has got magic in his hands. And he is a magical doctor. He is one of my favourite ‘mafia dons’. May God always bless him.

Next thing I know, the nurses setting up the IV lines and giving me the required medicines. Within an hour 2 of my emergency problems got fixed. Only the fever was now a concern.


Later, one of the trainee nurses were describing how, at government hospitals, peripheral central lines are created. They are done not by experts like Dr. Singh, but by trainee doctors. Who have to pierce more than once to get hold of the nerve at the neck. This goes on for quiet a while and the patient keeps bleeding and baring the pain.

Thank God we had Dr. Singh in my case

I think Dr Singh can fix anything …
You have a mom-in-law problem call Dr Singh.
You have a bad boss, call Dr Singh.
You have road rage problem, call Dr Singh.
You have internet problem, call Dr Singh.
You have maid problem, call Dr Singh.


Cause ‘mafia dons’ can fix everything and anything!


No comments:

Post a Comment