Powered By Blogger

Thursday 26 November 2015

ICU - Day 1



ICU is place where the gravity is very strong – its can suck you in and make you loose hope in no time. Either you come out alive or in form of a dead body. There is no inbetween. Thus keeping a positive attitude in the ICU is crucial and also an uphill task. This is when you need your doctors’, family’s and friends’ support the maximum.

I remember, on my first day, my dear friend, Anuradha was there to visit me at the ICU. She stayed the entire day waiting outside the ICU and came to visit me during the visiting hours. Initially I did not want her to come and visit me at the ICU because I thought she will not be able see me in such a delicate state when there were 7-8 pipes attached to every part of my body – neck, nose, stomach, back & urinary track. But I was mistaken.

Soul sister Anuradha!
I remember her walking into the ICU when the doctor was putting me on ventilator. For a few sceond I could see the shock in her eyes and the tremor in her walk. Its never easy to see your friend in such a state. But within minutes she changed her attitude and put on a brave face. Her face gave me strength. Strength to fight back the depressing atmosphere of the ICU. It was such a relief to see her trying to be her usuall chirpy self. I don’t remember what she was spoke to me. Whatever it was it relaxed me and diverted my mind from the ventilator! My drowsiness, overall weakness & the nose pipe prevented me from making too much conversation with Anuradha. But her presence and smile mattered a lot. What she taught me with her sunshine smile that I was much stronger than my circumstances! I can’t thank her enough for visiting me and giving me the confidence to look forward to a speedy recovery. God bless Anuradha.

Thats us, getting high on life and wine! 

I was given the ventilator because oxygen is the biggest enemy of cancer and also because I was a little breathless.
I was also taking antibiotic drips because early in the morning I had fever with shivers. Thus I was very weak and fragile. I hardly could understand what was happening … the doctors in the ICU kept up my spirit by talking to me and asking me to keep up my life-force and the smile on my face. Their emotional support and positive vibes kept me going.



But the most hilarious incident happened when the onco surgeon visited me at midnight. When I told him I was spitting out saliva constantly he asked me to cough. Coughing after a surgery is painfull. So I faked it. But, alas, I was caught. The next thing I know was the doctor putting his hands on my stomach and asking me to cough. Each time I faked I got caught! The surgeon was in no hurry to leave. So, eventually I HAD to cough‼ :P
I just could not fake my cough1 :P

Tips:
When you are in ICU make sure your loved ones visits you. Their confidence, strength, and positive vibes will help you go through the ordeal in peace. 

Never crib in the ICU. It just pushes you into further depression. Trust the doctors and keep your spirit up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment