Powered By Blogger

Sunday 26 July 2015

How I defined cancer ...




The thought of surgery never gave me any stress. I remember talking to my one of my spiritual gurus, earlier in the week, saying that I don’t want to under go a surgery. Her advice to me was to listen to the doctors and if they suggest surgery then I should just say yes. Just get the tumor out once and for all and you will be fine, is what she stressed on. And of course the confidence with which the onco surgeon had said that he would handle the entire procedure and that there was absolutely nothing to worry about, instilled a lot of conviction and self believe in me.

I also practiced a lot of affirmations suggested by my other spiritual guide – ‘I am happy now’, ‘I am divinely guided and protected now’.  Along with that I used to listen to the Hanuman Chalisa on my phone several times in a day. I was also gifted a small Hanuman statue that I kept next to my hospital bed always and He even accompanied me to the ICU, post my surgery.  Faith and belief in God gave me a lot of courage and hope.

My husband also kept my paintings in the hospital room – I loved seeing them and showing them off to the nurses and doctors ;)

Of course the company of friends helped a lot – they would come and go. Spend time with me laughing and gossiping. We never knew how time would just pass by. Its always important to be surrounded with positive people. As a group we had decided never to shed tears. Even if my friends cried – it was never in front of me. I hardly cried … even if I did it was never in front of them. As my brother-in-law, Soumodada, advised me ‘take up the responsibility … I know you will deliver. Don’t ever cry in front of your family and friends. They are depending on you. Tears will serve no purpose besides making the journey difficult for everyone.’ Such advice can only make you feel victorious.

I also kept remembering one of my favourite TED Talks by Ananda Shankar Jayant who fought cancer with dance. ‘Cancer is only one page in my life and I will not allow this page to impact the rest of my’.  Her determination always inspired me. Given below is the link. If you are fighting cancer, or know someone fighting cancer, or just going through a lean phase in life watch the video … it will give you the strength to forge ahead with grit and valour.



'Friends' - one of my paintings that says always surround yourself with good hearted positive people! 

Lesson learnt: 
Take responsibility of yourself, your ailment and fight it out. You owe it to your friends, your family and most importantly to yourself.


Tips: 
Surround yourself with positive people, listen to good music, watch motivational videos, and keep faith in God.

Remember, 'Cancer' is just another physical ailment. What defines it is your attitude ... either you KICK BUTT or choose to whine! Its all in the head!  

3 comments:

  1. It's always mind over matter. Who will drop the weapons first! In your case, Cancer knew from the beginning its playing a lost battle. Life welcomes you Debjani. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you ... its always mind over matter! Thank you for the lovely welcome!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete