Powered By Blogger

Thursday 23 July 2015

Discovery in high definition!



Sometimes life just happens. It happened to me when I was painting and having fun at my art exhibitions. I had loose motion that would not stop and blood in my stool. Thought it was a minor problem and went to the doc after almost 3 weeks of noticing it. The gastroentrologist at LH Hiranandani Hospital, Powai, was furious at my lackadaisical attitude. I smiled secretly while she was scolding me. She suggested some blood tests and a colonoscopy. The next mistake I did was delaying the colonoscopy by 2 weeks. I had some exhibitions lined up and did not want to miss them. So I showed her my blood report after two weeks and and bunked the 1st colonoscopy appointment. My haemoglobin level had come down to 7.5 and my doctor was shocked as to how I was standing on my two feet!!! She was furious. 

Finally on May 5, 2015 when I went for the colonoscopy at 8:30 am. The colonoscopy was done. The doctor came out of the process room. Met my husband.  And then boom - she used one of the most dreaded words in this planet - Cancer! Yes, Cancer. I had colon cancer!!! My husband did not know how to react. He was shocked but decided to stay calm. Then came the golden words from the doctor ‘Don’t worry. I am there.’ They gave my husband assurance, confidence and a huge emotional support. 

I was yet to be informed. I was just told that I need to be admitted in the hospital immediately because there is a tumour in the colon. In fact, I was joking around with my husband that we should go dancing after getting discharged from the hospital, which I thought would be the next day. 

Little did I know that I have already embarked on an extraordinary journey - a journey that is going to change my life forever. And not only my life but my family and friends too. 


Lesson learnt: 
Health is wealth. I will never again delay going to the doctor or take any health symptoms for granted. 

Tip: 
The doctor insisted that we first pay the colonoscopy bill and then get admitted. If I had got admitted and then paid the colonoscopy bill I would have had to pay a premium. So even if the billing department wants you to first get admitted then pay pre admission process bill then please refuse. 

Costs:
Consultation of gastroentrologist - Rs. 1500 for each consultation/visit. I had consulted the doctor 3 times because of my delay in under going the colonoscopy. 
Blood tests - Rs. 300 + Rs. 300 (I had to under go 2 CBC blood tests because of my delay in under going the colonoscopy)
Colonoscopy - Rs. 6500 + taxes



Security deposit for admission at the hospital - Rs 25,000.00 

Thats all for today. Hope it helps you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment